By Sarah Weaver BSc, MIAEBP, Cheltenham Hypnotherapist and Psychotherapist
Research suggests that not even 10% of us suceed with our New Year resolutions and most only stick to them for just a couple of weeks! Many of us are in the habit of making one about losing weight…the trouble is we’re in the habit of failing every time too! Here’s 5 pointers as to where you may be going wrong:
- Are you sticking to the same old methods?– As Albert Einstein stated, “insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the result to be different!” If you use the same old methods, it’s time to shake it up this year. Try something new this time, be creative, get inspired just whatever you do, don’t do it the same as last year!
- If you are only wishing and hoping for change, rather than believing that change can happen, then your subconscious mind is probably expecting and anticipating failure. So it is no surprise really that your eventual actions lead you down this path. You are actually reinforcing this underlying sense of powerlessness every time you attempt to lose weight, but fail. So this year when you try something new with your weight loss, BELIEVE in yourself and really IMAGINE yourself at your goal and that it IS achievable. Take inspiration from others you know who have lost weight and remember the only thing getting in the way of you achieving that too, is DOUBT!
- “You are such a drama queen!” You probably find that you are ticking along nicely with your new year exercise regime or healthy eating plan, but then you have a ‘blip’ and it feels as if a switch has been flicked- “that’s it, I’ve lost my way!” and so you abandon all efforts. Sound familiar? Many healthy eating or exercise failures can been laid at the hands of this ‘all or nothing’ thinking and seriously now, it’s a bit catastrophic isn’t it! This time be realistic; you are human! Stop seeing your success in such definate terms and this time expect and allow a few ‘off days’ here and there; but draw a line under them then get back on it! Your sucess depends on it!
- Maybe your exercise or healthy eating plan is ‘all or nothing too’? Do you tend to either go for it like a bat out of hell, or not do anything at all? ‘All or nothing’ approaches to food or exercise are not very sustainable in the long term and reinforce this unhelpful thinking style of yours. Moderation can be the key to sucessful and long-lasting weight-loss. As for that ‘all or nothing’ thinking of yours, start exploring the middle ground!
- You are so hard on yourself! Guilt and shame are actually the worst motivators, so if your mind is full of critical and negative thoughts about yourself, it is going to be really hard to stay focussed and you are actually going to be more likely to seek solace in that one thing you are trying to avoid…food! You need to identify and banish those negative, self-critical thoughts and start the new year with a shiney new attitude to both yourself and your weight loss. Choose to think happy thoughts about yourself in the knowledge that this will get you to your weight loss goal much faster. You deserve this too, do you know that? 🙂
So this New Year really go kick ass with your weight loss resolution! You can do it! Let me know how you get on…For any advice or support please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Sarah Weaver is a Hypnotherapist and Psychotherapist specialising in weight loss. Sarah offers a range of popular programmes designed to help you make permanent weight loss possible. All it takes is one phone call, or email, to start you on your journey to a healthier, happier and slimmer you. If you are fully comitted, motivated and have time to focus seriously on your weight, get in touch today!